A Rock Shandy. Ask any bartender in South Africa or Zimbabwe for one of these and he will know exactly what you want.
I have struggled to find one in a UK pub, though, to be fair, it is a drink for a hot day, ideally on the beach, but the garden will do! The hot days we are currently experiencing are ideal.
Best of all, depending on how you make it, it can be sugar free, and is alcohol free.
Rock Shandy Recipe
You will need:
- Angostura Bitters
- A slice of lemon (optional)
- Lemonade in some form – I often use 7-Up light, but any lemonade will do
- Sparkling water or soda water
- A long glass – either a highball or pint glass.
To make the Rock Shandy
- Put ice in the glass
- Add a couple of good splashes of Angostura Bitters
- Roll the glass to spread the bitters on the glass
- Add the lemon
- Fill the glass with half soda water and half lemonade
One variation is the Malawi Shandy. Simply replace the lemonade with ginger beer to get a bit of a ginger tang.
Or Make a Sneaky
To make a Sneaky add a tot or two of vodka (Vodka Sneaky) or gin (Gin Sneaky).
Warning: It’s called a Sneaky for a reason – it sneaks up on you!